Friday, July 31, 2009

Watcha Lookin' At!!‏

Pale white skin (BB creme and company), blood red lips (Dior rouge palette). Volumnous brunette (L'oreal systeme professional), sunken in cheekbones (fat loss and muscle gain thanks to gym) and thick eyebrows (Adele eye brow growth gel). All these seemed to complement my hazel eyes. That is why in my previous artikelen, I had mention my procurement of Dior rouge palette and my plans to take out my wisdom tooth this coming March in order to give me a more pronounced cheekbone. Some say I have just ripped off the image of Twilight vampires. Others say that I am simply a superficial person but I couldn't care less.

They say that when a boy finally learn to turn a blind eye to all the toys and temptations around him and focus on getting an investment haute horlogerie, he had finally become a man. The 'they' I had just referred to is actually me when I was inebriated. I have finally become a man indeed. Never have the prospect of an investment timepiece been much of an interest to me. Even though it is a very European thing to be (i.e. t-shirts, shorts and slippers but impressive wristwatch), I have never taken much notice on the history, culture and manufacture of a watch, whether it is Swiss or Japanese made. But now, I do.

I always knew that my dad had a multi-diamond Rolex that he got when he was in Geneva in the 1980s. My dad had a factory then that worked closely with manufacturers in Europe. The memory of me running around the machineries int he factories during a non-working Sunday still remains as clear and sweet as then. I have seen this watch a couple of times too when my dad decided to take it out of his safe and use it for an event. It is gold and bling. My mom had one too that is made of gold and rubies and diamonds acluster! These facts alone did not intrigue me as during that time, G-Shock and Baby-G was the epitome of wrtistwatch glam. Then, as years went on, I became more interested in other means of accessorissing oneself.

However, in the past few months, I was introduced to a world of quartz and self-winding metal pieces by my dear friend Alv. He had catalogues of Maurice Lacroix and Bvlgari in his bedroom too, for he is planning to get one this coming March. I knew at first that it is a heftly investment as these timepieces starts at $2,000. For young and hip working professionals like us, such investment seemed almost unwise. On the other hand, the more I think about it, the more feasable and necessary it is. My uncle has a gold Longines that I always thought to be very chic. There is also something very mature and sophisticated own one and wear it almost 24-7. Then, I thought that it is time for me to get an investment time piece for myself, one that hopefully I can pass on to my future son.

The search begins. After much research, I gave myself a budget of $4000. I was first met with two options, quartz battery or automatic. Automatic for me of course. I like the way they show case the skeleton of the watch in sapphire crystal casing. It looks so cool. I also like the idea that the watch DO NOT share the same organs as a Fossil or Swatch, but is meticulously made by some old Swiss watchmaker, with gears, nuts and bolts. Being not battery operated, the watch was given life by my daily movements. Lastly, it is a universal truth that automatique is a true investment time piece, on a whole new league to quartz battery one. I insist on an automatic, even though quartz battery one is alot cheaper and almost as useful/accurate as automatic watches.

Being an expensive boy with an expensive taste, I insist that I MUST have diamonds on my watch. Although my meagre $4000 will never ever fetch a Cartier, Chopard or a Philipe Patek, I am sure there are more than a dozen Swiss mades that has thrown in a couple of 0.05 carat diamonds onto a couple of models. Next question is the strap, do I want metal strap, or leather strap, or porcelain? Do I was gold tone, or silver tone, or rose gold metal? Do I want black leather, white leather or brown, or blue? What kind of leather do I want, croc skin would be ideal but i know they are costly. What colour porcelain do I want then keeping in mind not many models carry porcelain case. I have decided on either gold or silver tone metal as it is the most hardy (sweating on leather is not nice).

My favourite Gucci actually has a model with 50 diamonds for a low price of $3500 only (on sale, original price $6500)! I was so thrilled as I thought I have met 'the one'. Set on stainless steel with silver as the face and chronograph too, this 50 diamonded beauty made my mind float through clouds of images with me werking it. Massive sale price too as I made friend with the Japanese shop assistant at Duty Free. However, I was pulled back to Earth when I relaised that the watch is NOT automatique but quartz battery operated. I was shattered! I am Romeo who was so devastated that my Juliet had died! Urghh the pain...

The pain intensifies when I learnt that Gucci has an automatique chronograph watch BUT one without diamonds! Dayum!! If I am Frida Gianinni, I would design one that is automatique, chronograph AND diamond! There is still hope however, as I am thinking of getting the wacth only May 2010. The new collection will be out then, so hopefully they would release that. The price will hopefully not be be that causes me misery too. I am also looking out for Maurice Lacroix and Longines model that fits my criteria. Thus, the search continues and I am keeping my eyes on watch(es).