Thursday, May 21, 2009

Requiem

In a cold night after work and class. I was making my way home. The night is free and I have nothing planned. Faces passed by me but i can only see mine. I smiled at the moon and thought to myself, thank God its Friday. Finally a time to unwind and relax. At the corner of Queensbury and Lygon Street, I switched off my mobile phone, and wandered into the 'vortex' of me-time.

At the back of my mind, I know that tomorrow will be a big day. One of the biggest actually in years. One of my 'old friend' is visiting Melbourne, and I have the honours to show him and his girlfriend around town. I guess the term 'old friend' is appropriate. It will not be technically correct to call him a close friend as we have not spoke or meet up in years. It is does not feel right to call him an acquaintance too since we were good friends in the past.

Then, it struck me. An encounter with God years ago.

Throned in between 7 angels, a pair of all knowing eyes looked into me and a breeze reminded me Matthew 7:7 'Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you'.... But then He added 'Only in time.' My first reaction was that I have absolutely no idea what that means. But now, I do.

Things, material or immaterial, that I always wanted, I asked, and in time, I received.... time and time again. However, it only struck me with the coming of this old friend. Years ago, I had often played it in my head the wonderful scenarios of my friends visiting Melbourne and the potential fun and joy that will bring. It is a new world tp me then and I really like to have the opportunity to show my friends what it is like to be me. I had often requested this prayers to be answered. Eventually, I lost this idea as I lose frequent contact with my friends. Then, all of a sudden, years later, the prayer is answered.

At first, I was surprised was I had not expected it. Then, I questioned my anticipation. I do look forward to finally play the role and re-enact the 'wonderful scenarios of my friends visiting Melbourne and the potential fun and joy that will bring' that was on repeat in my head years ago. But to be frank, there was no butterflies, not much excitement, not much anticipation and not as much joy as expected. Nevertheless, I did have a good time bringing them about town. I am sure they had fun too (of course since it is me bringing them around).

The thing is, after having some conversation with old friend, I realised is how much I have changed. Or more correctly put, evolved and metamorphosized since I am always me... but getting better and better. I also realised that I am alot more mature in terms of my expectations and ideals. The me of the past had learnt from childishness and naivity. It also made me realised how at ease I am in Melbourne.

As I smiled at the moon at the corner of Lygon and Palmerston Street, it occured to me that maybe I just have to trust in Him more and know that what I ask, will be given in time and what is mine, will truly be mine.