Saturday, April 05, 2008

Dungeon and Drag-Ons

Autumn is here… it’s a change of seasons… IT’S ALREADY 2008 people!!!

Soon, it will be 2010!! WOW… 2010… it sounds so futuristic!! Yet, it’s merely 2 years away.

A couple of days ago, I met up with a friend whom I had not seen in 5 years… He is a year my junior but is already tackling the adult world as a French chef. Alone, he came to Melbourne last October to work.Then, he did not know anyone here as I have not kept in contact with him. Poor guy, he had to go through a lot to get to where he is now. He had no friends, no idea of Melbourne routes, no work connection… no nothing, yet he has finally settled after a gruelling 5 months and is working at a restaurant at Collins Street. It came as a really good inspiration to me since I am in my stage where I am looking for work and is rather desperate. I need everyone’s prayers right now.

If you are still a student, studying at a Uni or a course, God bless you cos you have the BEST moment of your life. Not much responsibility, not much accountability to others and not much worry about where your life will go to as yet.

For me, it was a big jump from being in the protected and comfortable world of Uni life to a struggling-to-find-work adult. It seems like every single day is a drag on and with more rejections from companies, I am falling deeper into the dungeon…. Dungeon of hopelessness. This is the start of my life… my working life and I seemed to be screwing it up. I really really need to start working!!!

This transition phase can get ugly. I know that if you readers are already working and happy, you can understand this feeling as you may have gone through it. IT IS REALITY!! I don’t bother to be the fantasy-full self whom liked everything in my own little world where I have to dress up, be high maintanance, talk about useless himbotic stuff with no value and waste away my imagined socialite life!!! I don’t bother cos it does not help my reality.. it does not add value to my reality… which is sinking.

Bad phase people, bad phase.

It’s almost gloom, dark, as feelings of helplessness seizes me by my neck. I need to find the light. The resolve, in the form of a job.

With heavy heart.

One tip for you graduates out there, worry about your results but worry about your job prospects at the same time throughout your Uni years. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before you graduate!! Know which company, firm, institute is the best suited out there. Get experience by non-paid holiday internships or paid work at a field that either helps in your future work or your interest. That way, you can save a lot of time as you won’t be at square one when you get your graduation slip.
At last I finally got my desire to take up a European language. I am thinking either French or Spanish as they are really useful. I worry about the French though as its been noted to be a really challenging language to learn and even though I may comprehend it perfectly, the speech may sound off due to the accent that will not be quintessentially French. I hope that eating more croissant will help in the speech however. Spanish should not be too difficult since I speak Indonesian, which has similar ABC readings and I can roll my tongue well.

Well right now I hope the light will come before I sink too deep…